Thursday, October 20, 2011

contemplating the meaning of blogging...

What does this really matter, I wonder? Is anything I have to say of any import? Does it make a difference anywhere? To anyone?

I started thinking about what is really important, to me anyway.

I need to trust people, and I need them to trust me. I have been burned, and I don't like it, but I can't become cynical. It is not my nature.

Loyalty is important to me. Friends, employers, family...loyalty is an underappreciated value today.

Civility is in short supply. Why don't we treat one another better? We can be friendlier, more courteous, more helpful to one another, and yet we seem to be so focused on our own needs we neglect others.

Of all the things I learned from my father over the years, perhaps the most important was the role of kindness. Kindness, genuine concern for the welfare of others may be the most critical value of all. Kind people don't cheat, don't steal, don't lie...it would be unkind to do so...

Positivity in attitude and outlook is important. Bad things happen every day, difficulty confronts us throughout life...how we deal with it is half the battle. Being positive isn't about "drinking the kool-aid", it is not about being unrealistic, it is not about blind faith, it is about looking for opportunity in adversity, about seeing beyond the difficulty, about coming through better, stronger, more resilient.

Strength is a tough thing to define. Is it the bravery of firefighters or police officers? Is it the risk taker who faces down those who are more powerful, better resourced? Bravery and character are too often assumed and too often lacking.

As I contemplated these "values" I was reminded that the Scout Law has twelve points; trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. While I can't say I am "reverent" in the church-going sense, I realize the wisdom of my early preparation. Thrifty? Terri will say I am just cheap...but I am a Scot, gimme a break...

what is important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment