Saturday, February 26, 2022

A Series of Unusual Events

 

In many previous posts I have noted my "un-churched" status. While I have never claimed to be atheistic, I am probably a-religious if there is such a classification. That said I AM open-minded and able to consider differing points of view.

(The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. F. Scott Fitzgerald)

I have recently been reading the Bhagavad Gita, a sacred Hindu text heavily steeped in yoga and morality. What has been a surprise to me, fallen catholic that I am, is the similarities between this ancient text, the moral teachings of the bible I was taught, and what I think of as indigenous faiths/beliefs with which I am familiar. (ed. I have finished the Bhagavad Gita)

For some time now I have regarded god as within me. I an loathe to pray to an external power as though I have no self-control, no ability to change, no free will. The Bhagavad Gita has opened my eyes to a different perspective on beliefs. The focus is on the self, and becoming truly self-actualized. I am sure this is not news to friends who have studied Buddhism, but it was a new perspective for me.

One common denominator I find among all these versions of faith, including what I know of indigenous Native Americans, is a sense of a "lord above" making worship of gods in the sky somewhat universal. While considering these thoughts on faith, I have experienced a number of what a friend would call "god winks", explanations for seemingly random events. While reading about the Bhagavad, I also came across references to reality that have led me to read about quantum theory again, and the very nature of reality. Schrodinger's cat comes to mind as our observation of phenomena affects the phenomenon itself.

I suppose the focus of these random ramblings is to say that the link between my thoughts and the surprising coincidences seems to be based in Physics. If energy cannot be destroyed, only transferred, and if we are capable of being reincarnated based on our karma/dharma, does it not make sense that the energy that leaves our bodies at the time of death returns to the cosmos and can come back or remain as pure energy in the universe from which all things have come? My reading of the Bhagavad, admittedly an uninformed reading, suggests that everything that is always has been, everything that will be exists now. Hence my (again uninformed) reading of quantum reality. 

If I have ever actually emptied my pockets of mental lint, this is it. Sorry for the logical and philosophical leaps, but I am trying to organize my thoughts in some meaningful way.

If this has meant anything to you (or if you can help me make some sense of it) please comment below or on Facebook where this will appear...

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment