Monday, March 14, 2011

truly mental lint....

One of my great frustrations with myself is my lack of follow through on so many personal projects. My children will regale you with stories of how it took me over 18 months to replace our powder room, or how the desk I started to refinish sits in the basement waiting for further attention. I know I have a tendency to procrastinate on the mundane and unpleasant tasks, why do I avoid finishing things I'd enjoy?
I once owned three accordions...couldn't play a damned one, but I had them. One was actually a concertina which now has a much better home at FLCC's Honors House. One has disappeared, and one I gave to a friend. I never learned to play, passionate as I was about Cajun music and Zydeco.
I now have a practice chanter and "green book" for the day I decide to get serious about bagpiping...
Sometimes I think my procrastinating is a form of self-defense against mortality...I can't die! I have all this stuff to do!

I have always wanted to write something others would read, not a blog or a facebook posting, but a novel or collection of short stories that were meaningful and deep. I have come up with great titles..my first collection of short stories is titled "Personal Ghosts" and will be published to significant praise and media buzz as the "next Ray Carver" is introduced, a "talent unseen since 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.'" The subsequent novel is a roman a clef' titled "The Somnambulist" and follows its protagonist on a journey to self discovery and enlightenment. But...

Don't hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment